This page provides information about an individual release of the Atlassian Command Line Interface (CLI) family of add-ons.
More release notes for additional versions of this product are available on the Release Notes page.
Data Center Approval
This app for Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket, with 8.0 release is a Data Center approved app for Atlassian Marketplace. In addition to being Data Center compatible, the app is now tested and verified for its compliance with Data Center scalability and availability standards. This ensures delivering high standard of reliability in a cluster and performance at scale.
- With the progression of the Agile Command Line Interface (CLI) with new capabilities, this is a reminder that the older Jira agile actions are deprecated as noted in the reference - these deprecated actions will be removed in some future release. Customers should use the agile client included in the distribution which will continue to improve with new capabilities. The existing Jira CLI connector app supports connections from all the Jira related clients including agile, servicedesk, tempo, and jira.
- There are some minor incompatibilities with the agile related actions including output format changes (columns removed and added).
- Atlassian has discontinued Hipchat. See Atlassian's announcement for details. As a result, Hipchat CLI will also be discontinued. Client distributions will continue with the Hipchat client for a limited time as people migrate off the platform. We will no longer be testing against Hipchat nor respond to Hipchat support requests. Even after removal from the distribution, customers can still use older distributions against their Hipchat server instance for as long as they wish.
The Atlassian Command Line Interface (CLI) supports a large range of product releases. The matrix below provides compatibility guidelines based on testing, API compatibility information provided by Atlassian, and community feedback. User's are encourage to help improve compatibility information through discussions and issues. The CLI also works with releases not officially listed here since in many cases it uses remote APIs provided by Atlassian that have been stable for many years. Check previous versions of the CLI for coverage of earlier releases. Users should verify their usage scenarios on new releases. Support normally is limited to minimum releases indicated. Client requires at least Java 1.8. In some cases, new actions are only available on later versions of the server - these are often noted in the documentation or in error messages.
To simplify the matrix, we no longer list much older releases even though there is some level of compatibility for these as well. Refer to earlier compatibility notes for information on older releases.
See also Compatibility for overall information on supported Atlassian releases.
CLI Clients and Connectors
- 8.0 clients require connectors at version 7.8 or higher.
- Cloud users usually need to update their clients regularly to address incompatibilities introduced by Atlassian with their daily Cloud updates. We deliver EAP releases to immediately cover any problems.
- While the Confluence CLI often works well on Confluence server releases prior to the ones officially supported, this may not be the case for some actions on version 6.x. If you are on Confluence release 5.9 or earlier, we recommend Release 6.4 or earlier.
- 3rd-party Applications - like Tempo for instance: We don't explicitly list application versions, but normally test against the a recent release of the application that is compatible with the platform it runs on.
Run CLI Add-ons
Add-ons install and run an Atlassian product server.
Version 7.0 - Removed Actions and Parameters
The CLI is using this version change to remove obsolete actions and parameters that have been deprecated for some time. This is done to simplify maintenance, improve performance, and allow for future improvements. These changes are being done now as a result of major advancements in JIRA and Confluence over the last couple of years:
- JIRA 7.0 and the CLI migration to REST API from SOAP APIs completed a few years ago - see JIRA 7.0 Support Notice for differences between JIRA 6.x and JIRA 7.x.
- Confluence cql and the CLI migration to REST APIs from SOAP APIs recently completed
Version 7.0 - Removed Actions and Parameters provides details on these changes. Automation scripts may need some minor updates to remove obsolete constructs.
Atlassian Add-on Compatibility
The Atlassian CLI supports a number of different Atlassian add-ons like JIRA Software and Confluence Questions. We only test and support the most current maintenance release of the add-on available for the respective Atlassian application.
The CLI clients always try to maintain upward compatibility between releases. However, in some cases this is not possible. Occasionally server differences may cause some compatibility issues.
Run CLI Actions
JIRA and Agile CLI
Service Desk CLI
Bitbucket and Bitbucket Cloud CLI