The Atlassian Command Line Interface (CLI) supports a large range of product releases. The matrix below provides compatibility guidelines based on testing, API compatibility information provided by Atlassian, and community feedback.
Users are encouraged to help improving compatibility information through discussions and issues.
The CLI also works with releases that are not officially listed here since, in many cases it uses the remote APIs that Atlassian provides and that have been stable for many years. Check previous versions of the CLI for coverage of earlier releases.
Users should verify their usage scenarios on new releases.
Support normally is limited to minimum releases indicated. Client requires at least Java 11 and we test with both Java 11 and 17. In some cases, new actions are only available on later versions of the server - these are often noted in the documentation or in error messages.
Removal of Java 1.8 support for clients
CLI 10.x requires Java 11 or higher. Installers automatically include Java 11. For distribution installs, you must upgrade your Java installation to Java 11 or Java 17.
To simplify the matrix, we no longer list much older releases even though there is some level of compatibility for these as well. Refer to earlier compatibility notes for information on older releases.
See also Compatibility for overall information on supported Atlassian releases.
See Special Compatibility Notice for CLI Version 10.x.
CLI Clients and Connectors
- 10.4 clients require connectors at version 10.0 or higher.
- Cloud users usually need to update their clients regularly to address incompatibilities introduced by Atlassian with their daily Cloud updates. We deliver EAP releases to immediately cover any problems.
- Jira Service Management (formerly Service Desk) releases compatible with corresponding Jira releases.
- 3rd-party apps - like Tempo for instance: We don't explicitly list application versions, but normally test against a recent release of the app that is compatible with the platform it runs on.
- Data Center is normally tested on the supported enterprise release designated by Atlassian.
Run CLI Apps
Apps install and run on an Atlassian application server.
Java 11 Requirement for Run Apps
You must be running Jira and Confluence servers on Java 11 for this release in order to install the Run CLI apps. If you are not, continue using the 9.9.0 version of the Run CLI apps your server. You should plan to upgrade your server Java version for better performance and support going forward.
Atlassian App Compatibility
The Atlassian CLI supports a number of different Atlassian apps like Jira Software, Service Desk, and Confluence Questions. We only test and support the most current maintenance release of the apps available for the respective Atlassian application.
The CLI clients always try to maintain upward compatibility between releases. However, in some cases this is not possible. Occasionally server differences may cause some compatibility issues.