The Atlassian Command Line Interface (CLI) supports a large range of product releases. The matrix below provides compatibility guidelines based on testing, API compatibility information provided by Atlassian, and community feedback. User's are encourage to help improve compatibility information through discussions and issues. The CLI also works with releases not officially listed here since in many cases it uses remote APIs provided by Atlassian that have been stable for many years. Check previous versions of the CLI for coverage of earlier releases. Users should verify their usage scenarios on new releases. Support normally is limited to minimum releases indicated. Client requires at least Java 1.8. In some cases, new actions are only available on later versions of the server - these are often noted in the documentation or in error messages.
To simplify the matrix, we no longer list much older releases even though there is some level of compatibility for these as well. Refer to earlier compatibility notes for information on older releases.
See also Compatibility for overall information on supported Atlassian releases.
CLI Clients and Connectors
- 7.9 clients require connectors at version 7.5 or higher. Agile client requires Jira 7.7 connector.
- Cloud users usually need to update their clients regularly to address incompatibilities introduced by Atlassian with their daily Cloud updates. We deliver EAP releases to immediately cover any problems.
- While the Confluence CLI often works well on Confluence server releases prior to the ones officially supported, this may not be the case for some actions on version 6.x. This is due to the removal of legacy SOAP support still available in 6.x versions (–options legacy). If you are on Confluence release 5.9 or earlier, we recommend Release 6.4 or earlier.
- 3rd-party Applications - like Tempo for instance: We don't explicitly list application versions, but normally test against the a recent release of the application that is compatible with the platform it runs on.
Run CLI Add-ons
Add-ons install and run an Atlassian product server.
Version 7.0 - Removed Actions and Parameters
The CLI is using this version change to remove obsolete actions and parameters that have been deprecated for some time. This is done to simplify maintenance, improve performance, and allow for future improvements. These changes are being done now as a result of major advancements in JIRA and Confluence over the last couple of years:
- JIRA 7.0 and the CLI migration to REST API from SOAP APIs completed a few years ago - see JIRA 7.0 Support Notice for differences between JIRA 6.x and JIRA 7.x.
- Confluence cql and the CLI migration to REST APIs from SOAP APIs recently completed
Version 7.0 - Removed Actions and Parameters provides details on these changes. Automation scripts may need some minor updates to remove obsolete constructs.
Atlassian Add-on Compatibility
The Atlassian CLI supports a number of different Atlassian add-ons like JIRA Software and Confluence Questions. We only test and support the most current maintenance release of the add-on available for the respective Atlassian application.
The CLI clients always try to maintain upward compatibility between releases. However, in some cases this is not possible. Occasionally server differences may cause some compatibility issues.