The Confluence server must have the Graph Visualization Software (Graphviz) package installed in order for the Graphviz Diagrams for Confluence macros to work. The Graphviz package is free and supports a variety of operating systems including those supported by Confluence.
Test your Graphviz installation
After you have installed Graphviz, make sure the dot executable run from a command line using the same environment (especially the path) used to startup Confluence.
If Confluence cannot find the executable, you will get macro errors in Confluence like - No useable executable name defined in graphviz.properties...
Before you can use Graphviz Diagrams for Confluence, you will need to download and install Graph Visualization Software (Graphviz) on the system where you are running Confluence. Download the correct version of the software that matches your environment. You can find the available versions on the Graphviz Downloads page. Once the download is complete then following the instructions below for your operating system.
Graphviz on Windows
- Download the installer from this link
- The default installation path will be C:\Program Files (x86)\GraphvizX.XX\bin (Example: GraphvizX.XX → Graphviz2.38)
Open cmd window as administrator and go the location C:\Program Files (x86)\GraphvizX.XX\bin and run the below command:
Exit the command window.
Go to the Control Panel → System and Security → System, and on the right side navigation panel, you will see the link Advanced systems settings.
Once there in advance settings, a dialogue box will open which will show the button Environment Variables. Click on the button Environment Variables.
Select the entry "Path" on the system variables section and add C:\Program Files (x86)\GraphvizX.XX\bin to the existing path. Please see the below screenshot for reference.
Note: Please make sure you add ";" at the PATH which is already existing under User Variables and mention the path C:\Program Files (x86)\GraphvizX.XX\bin. Also please add a New path on the system variables section and add the Path C:\Program Files (x86)\GraphvizX.XX\bin
- Click on Ok Button.
- Restart Confluence from a new cmd window.
- Go to the system information page on confluence instance.
- Verify if you can see C:\Program Files (x86)\GraphvizX.XX\bin on "Path" attribute on system information page in confluence.
- If the path is available, that means that the configuration changes are successful.
- Go the page where you have used the macro and verify if the add-ons work.
- Restart Confluence
Verify it works by creating a page with a simple flowchart macro like:
A -> B
Graphviz on Mac OSX
- Follow the instructions mentioned here.
- The installer should set up everything so that the dot appears under on the path
Graphviz on Linux and Unix
- Install the graphviz.rpm, the graphviz-graphs.rpm, and the graphviz-gd.rpm packages
- Open the directory GraphViz is installed under and confirm the path
- Log in as the user who runs Confluence or starts the Confluence service
- Append the path to the
bin directory of GraphViz to the 'Path' variable
The method mentioned in this section is not required and not recommended in most cases, but, if you can't get your path set correctly to find the dot executable, then this is an alternative.
If you get errors about not finding dot.exe
- Download the add-on jar file
- Unzip the jar to a temporary directory
- Edit the graphviz.properties file
- Zip all files in the temporary directory to create a new jar file
- Uninstall the Graphviz App and re-install your customized version
- GVIZ-1 will make this easier