This Business Intelligence (BI) recipe provides step-by-step instructions on building a dashboard that features key metrics based on a SQL data source – one of nearly limitless use cases for transforming raw data into meaningful and useful information for business analysis purposes. This recipe utilizes the following items:
- The Run Self-Service Reports for Confluence add-on to provide a form through which the user can choose selection criteria for the data to be presented in the dashboard.
- The Chart macro, which comes natively with Confluence, to produce the pie chart.
- The SQL for Confluence add-on, which comes in both Express and Pro editions, to query a SQL database to retrieve the data to be presented in the dashboard.
- The Macro Security for Confluence add-on to safeguard the page and the database it uses by ensuring that only Administrators can use the SQL Query and Run macros.
- The Cache for Confluence add-on to improve the dashboard's rendering speed through the use of its Cache and Future macros.
It will take you approximately 20-22 minutes to complete this recipe if you have already completed the How to Create a Self-Service Report From SQL Data recipe or 35-41 minutes if you have not completed that recipe. Jump to Step 13 to see a preview of the final result!
See our other related BI recipes: